Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A check that is guaranteed by a bank.
- ‘If you're not comfortable sending a certified check or money order to the seller, consider using an escrow service or paying for your item cash on delivery.’
- ‘He said that although he can get parts from OMG's warehouse, he must pay in advance by certified check.’
- ‘She accepts ‘no personal checks, no cashier's checks - only certified checks, only bank checks, always paid before the last performance.’’
- ‘‘I had requested a certified check,’ he says, ‘and they sent me about 35 money orders.’’
- ‘Send a written request for the book in an envelope and enclose a certified check or money order in the amount of $16.00 (tax included) plus $3.85 shipping and handling.’
- ‘We picked up a certified check from our old landlady for the full security deposit.’
- ‘Ray's wife, Teresa, issued the certified check to Bellini on Feb.22, 2000, shortly before the March 3 birth of Kerik's daughter, Celine.’
- ‘Cashier's checks or certified checks on the other hand clear right away because the bank sets aside the money in the account specifically for that withdrawal.’
- ‘The only ‘waiting period’ to buy a car runs from the time you pay for it (with cash, a certified check, or a loan document) to the time the salesman hands you the keys.’
- ‘If you want, you can insist on cash, certified check or money order if you are concerned about a bad check or that the person may stop payment on the check after taking the horse away.’
- ‘He'll be there tomorrow, he says, with a certified check.’
- ‘We're just a pre-assigned time slot and a certified check to them.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.