One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Any of a group of complex lipids present in the sheaths of nerve fibers.
- ‘The amide linkage resides in a region of low dielectric constant, according to available structural data on ceramides and cerebrosides which further promotes the formation of strong hydrogen bonds.’
- ‘The formation of domains by cerebrosides has been found to be only weakly influenced by the presence of cholesterol.’
- ‘They thus suggested that the iron in Gaucher cells arose from erythrophagocytosis and that the erythrocyte was the source of cerebroside in the Gaucher cells.’
- ‘Globosides represent cerebrosides that contain additional carbohydrates, predominantly galactose, glucose or GalNAc.’
- ‘The members of this family hydrolyze sulfate ester bonds of a variety of compounds, including mucopolysaccharides, cerebrosides, and steroids.’
Late 19th century: from Latin cerebrum ‘brain’ + -ose + -ide.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.