A swelling in the brain caused by the presence of excessive fluid.
- ‘In contrast, cerebral edema was present in 4 of 10 fatal cases in the Paris series (although in 2, septic shock was a confounder), and in 1 there was herniation.’
- ‘In severe cases, the mistaken treatment of an overhydrated patient with intravenous fluids can be life threatening, resulting in cerebral edema and death.’
- ‘Administration of fluids to severely hyponatremic patients may result in fatal cerebral edema.’
- ‘I'm pretty sure the poor trekkers thought we must be suffering from cerebral edema.’
- ‘However, some patients may present with cerebral edema before treatment is started.’