One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A swelling in the brain caused by the presence of excessive fluid.
- ‘I'm pretty sure the poor trekkers thought we must be suffering from cerebral edema.’
- ‘Administration of fluids to severely hyponatremic patients may result in fatal cerebral edema.’
- ‘However, some patients may present with cerebral edema before treatment is started.’
- ‘In contrast, cerebral edema was present in 4 of 10 fatal cases in the Paris series (although in 2, septic shock was a confounder), and in 1 there was herniation.’
- ‘In severe cases, the mistaken treatment of an overhydrated patient with intravenous fluids can be life threatening, resulting in cerebral edema and death.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.