Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A prepackaged food item similar in shape to a candy bar, made of breakfast cereal and, typically, fruit.
- ‘Main meals are either started or concluded with a cereal bar, depending on how greedy I feel.’
- ‘When they got out of the car Alysha threw them each a cereal bar.’
- ‘Choose foods with a set portion size, such as a cereal bar or an individual packet of instant oatmeal.’
- ‘He shows us how to get the right mix of sweet and sour for his marinated pork chop and explains why his honey-coated cereal bars are a great energy booster.’
- ‘Read the labels carefully, and look for cereal bars made from whole grain and low in fat.’
- ‘The fattiest cereal bars had 18.2 g of fat compared with 0.5 g in the least fatty.’
- ‘Snacks like trail mix, dried fruits, nuts, sports bars and cereal bars can help keep your electrolytes balanced, especially on hot days when you sweat a lot.’
- ‘His anxious mother is now sending food parcels containing beef burgers, beans, fruit and cereal bars to feed him.’
- ‘Some countries may not allow certain fresh foods through customs and cereal bars, crisps and biscuits may be more appropriate to carry.’
- ‘I grabbed my books and a cereal bar, and then walked out into the cool dawn air.’
- ‘And tests on over 100 different cereal bars revealed as many as nine bars of certain types were needed to get as much protein as in a bowl of cereal.’
- ‘Anyone staying for supervised study is given a fruit drink, a cereal bar and fruit.’
- ‘She ran into the kitchen, grabbed a coke, and some cereal bars to go.’
- ‘The fruit's dry pulp will be sold as an ingredient in smoothies and cereal bars.’
- ‘Finish that cereal bar first, she said.’
- ‘I prefer to have a decent cooked breakfast before I set out, and take things like crisps, cereal bars and chocolate.’
- ‘A cereal bar or sandwich offers a more sustained release of energy than a sugary drink or snack.’
- ‘I touched the screen for more choices and picked a cereal bar.’
- ‘When you go to the movies, take along a fat-free cereal bar or marshmallow bar or granola bar.’
- ‘All runners will get a medal, a bottle of water and a cereal bar at the finish line.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.