One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A stemless agave with long spiny leaves, which produces a tall flowering stem after many years of growth and then dies.Also called American aloe
- ‘Its larger counterpart, the agave or century plant, like a tank-trap, can still be seen used as a washing line, with the clothes hung on the huge spikes.’
- ‘The landscape is totally different from that of the area surrounding the resorts, with a wide variety of spectacular plant life, including the saguaro cacti and century plants.’
- ‘Someone else knew where there was a century plant by the side of the road.’
- ‘The botanical gardens currently has a century plant which is about to flower.’
- ‘There the bats change their diet and feed on the nectar and pollen of ‘century plants,’ primarily the species known as the Palmer agave.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.