One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The strip of land between the lanes of opposing traffic on a divided highway; a median.
- ‘Later, a van was blown into the central reservation on the trunk road's eastbound carriageway.’
- ‘On the M1, near junction 39, a wagon travelling north toppled over the central reservation into the southbound carriageway.’
- ‘She had started to walk across the dual carriageway towards the central reservation.’
- ‘His car which was in a 40 mph zone clipped the kerb, skidded over the central reservation onto the opposite carriageway and spun into the lamppost.’
- ‘A spokeswoman for Clacton police said the Clacton-bound lorry had got stuck in the central reservation of the road blocking both carriageways.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.