The complex of nerve tissues that controls the activities of the body. In vertebrates it comprises the brain and spinal cord.
- ‘The sphingomyelin content is also high in the central nervous system and in the spinal cord.’
- ‘MS is a disease of the central nervous system that affects the brain and spinal cord.’
- ‘Studies in the mid-1970s showed workers exposed to vinyl chloride suffered an excessive number of cancer deaths from cancer of the liver, lung, lymphatic and central nervous systems, including brain tumors.’
- ‘Lymphatics are found in every part of the body except the central nervous system.’
- ‘Fish are vertebrates, with a brain, a central nervous system and pain receptors all over their bodies, including the lips.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.