One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An agency or department that supplies actors for minor, usually stereotypical or generic film roles.‘Lynch is a mild, methodical guy, a bureaucrat from central casting’‘a couple of hammy doctors straight from central casting’
- ‘It hurts that his character is a rich suburban dad from central casting, written as flat as possible in order to maximize the contrast with his explosive moment of violence.’
- ‘They weren't - I didn't get them from central casting, no matter what you've read.’
- ‘I had no desire to be someone out of central casting for the current hit movie The Forty Year Old Virgin.’
- ‘She seemed to have been sent from central casting.’
- ‘The baddies are right out of central casting, eccentric to the hilt.’
1920s: from the name of the US organization Central Casting Corporation.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.