One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A metric unit of length, equal to one hundredth of a meter.
- ‘The biggest sapphires found there range up to three centimetres in length and about half a centimeter in diameter.’
- ‘The architecture of the lower lava sequence is now discussed on the centimetre to metre scale.’
- ‘Shoot length was measured in centimetres, from the base to the top, using a fabric tape measure.’
- ‘Providing measurements of birds in both inches and centimeters was a very good idea.’
- ‘He says such a pen is just two metres long by 60 centimetres wide, with a concrete floor and no bedding.’
- ‘The water table is hurtling down not by centimetres or inches but, hold your breath, metres!’
- ‘Beds of magnesite range in average thickness from five centimetres to five metres.’
- ‘Again and again he did so, a little bit at a time, improving his own record by a centimetre here and a centimetre there.’
- ‘Their bodies measured about 15 centimeters in length and they had long tails.’
- ‘The sari is a length of cloth measuring from about four to eight metres by about 120 centimetres.’
- ‘Hazel cut off a strip of the sheet about twenty centimetres wide and a metre long.’
- ‘Her fingernails were of medium length, about four centimeters long, and she had painted them dark purple.’
- ‘Individual coal balls range from a few centimetres to over a metre in length.’
- ‘The line of tiles was running off at a tangent by a centimetre every metre.’
- ‘The young, which are about a centimetre in length, feed on their reserves for the first few days of life.’
- ‘Squid come in all sizes, from a centimetre to over a metre in length, and the life cycles of different species vary greatly.’
- ‘The same numbers apply if I measure distance in miles or centimeters or any other unit.’
- ‘Sand volcanoes range in diameter from a few centimetres to several metres.’
- ‘Patches can range from a few millimetres to a few centimetres in size.’
- ‘The oddest thing was losing the feet and inches and changing to metres and centimetres.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.