One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1The central part of the outfield, behind second base.‘a single to center field’
- ‘Gary Sheffield drove in Derek Jeter with a short sacrifice fly to centerfield, the Yankee shortstop brazenly testing Lew Ford's arm.’
- ‘Melvin Mora followed by scorching a Johnson pitch to deep centerfield for an RBI double, and things look they might come apart at the seams with Miguel Tejada looming next.’
- ‘Probably the most oft repeated phrase on Yankees' broadcasts is ‘ground ball up the middle, through to centerfield for a base hit.’’
- ‘Just as my brother and I were settling into our seats, Jays' centerfielder Wells gave the crowd a rare reason to cheer a visiting player when he robbed Alex Rodriguez of a home run to deep centerfield.’
- ‘Posada's throw nearly went over Jeter's head into centerfield, but the shortstop hauled it down and put the tag on Ortiz and second-base ump Randy Marsh bought it.’
- 1.1 The position of an outfielder in center field.‘Amaro played some center field when Dykstra went on the disabled list’
- ‘He's used in many ways by coordinator Jim Johnson and can play center field, move up in the box or blitz from anywhere.’
- ‘Kenny Lofton departed via free agency, leaving center field and the leadoff spot to Corey Patterson.’
- ‘Little did I know in later years, he would play center field when I pitched!’
- ‘The Reds have had MVP winners at all defensive positions except center field and third base.’
- ‘Miles is expected to play often anyway because Jackson will play center field when Preston Wilson takes a day off.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.