Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A mode of automatic light metering in a camera that compensates for differences in the brightness of the central and peripheral portions of the image.
- ‘These cameras also contain basic center-weighted metering as well as spot metering, with spot metering being a more sensitive area than center-weighted (similar to a 1º spot meter).’
- ‘Other than if you have a specific reason to use center-weighted metering, you're probably better off generally using matrix metering in favour of center-weighted metering.’
- ‘Variable center-weighted metering and a choice of five spot meters are available, as are exposure compensation, and auto exposure bracketing.’
- ‘On the other hand, the results produced by center-weighted metering are very predictable, whereas matrix and evaluative metering modes have complicated algorithms which are harder to predict.’
- ‘Partial metering is similar, except it covers a larger patch of the scene, but not as much as center-weighted metering.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.