One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A plant of a Eurasian genus that includes the cornflower and knapweed. Several kinds are cultivated for their bright flowers.
Genus Centaurea, family Compositae
- ‘A new strain of Marguerite centaureas has a better form and more substance to the blossoms.’
- ‘If you are sowing in spring, it's a good idea to make more than one sowing of the annuals because centaureas are not long-blooming plants.’
- ‘Of the perennial clumping centaureas, the best is Persian Bachelor Buttons.’
- ‘Many of the centaureas make good cut-flowers, but I like this one especially.’
- ‘The tender centaureas are valued for summer bedding on account of their pure silvery or bluish tinted white foliage.’
Modern Latin based on Greek kentauros ‘centaur’ (see centaury).
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.