Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A plant of a Eurasian genus that includes the cornflower and knapweed. Several kinds are cultivated for their bright flowers.
- ‘The tender centaureas are valued for summer bedding on account of their pure silvery or bluish tinted white foliage.’
- ‘Many of the centaureas make good cut-flowers, but I like this one especially.’
- ‘Of the perennial clumping centaureas, the best is Persian Bachelor Buttons.’
- ‘A new strain of Marguerite centaureas has a better form and more substance to the blossoms.’
- ‘If you are sowing in spring, it's a good idea to make more than one sowing of the annuals because centaureas are not long-blooming plants.’
Modern Latin based on Greek kentauros centaur (see centaury).
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.