Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Of the nature of cement.
- ‘The interior walls have three coats of cementitious Portland cement plasters.’
- ‘To do that, we used estimates of the percentage of cement used in ready-mixed concrete, the cementitious materials content per cubic yard of concrete, and the proportion of Portland cement and fly ash in the cementitious material.’
- ‘Various stabilizers for the adobes themselves have been developed, with most, however, relying on cementitious or asphalt-based compounds.’
- ‘Composed of encapsulated cementitious grout, the product can be used underwater, in overhead applications, in cold temperatures, or in any application where you require an anchor in concrete.’
- ‘It was agreed that all the available evidence indicates that the Armouralia beading was fixed with dabs, probably of cementitious undercoat render, rather than being mechanically fixed.’
- ‘Addition of A.R. to cementitious grouts, combined with superplasticizer, modifies their rheological properties resulting in the enhancement of their penetrability and the grout propagation into the soil mass.’
- ‘Does the scope of PCA have to broaden to include all cementitious materials, or should it just stick to Portland cement?’
- ‘Water, which weighs about 7.8 pounds per gallon, should equal approximately half the weight of the cementitious material (cement and lime) in the mix.’
- ‘The bond is achieved by applying a cementitious grout around the strands.’
- ‘In some parts of the world sugar is still commonly used to retard the set of mortar and other cementitious products.’
- ‘Introduced in the late 1970s, Air Krete, a cementitious foam product containing magnesium oxide, is one of the few insulation products that chemically sensitive individuals seem to tolerate.’
- ‘Terratop is a cementitious terrazzo topping that bridges the gap between thick-build cementitious terrazzo and the thinner but more difficult to work epoxy terrazzo.’
- ‘Manufacturers are examining ways of using cementitious or fibrous core insulating materials in place of the plastic insulations.’
- ‘We conducted RCPT on a rapid-setting repair grout consisting of pre-blended cementitious material.’
- ‘Clayey gravel or gravel, and crushed igneous rocks are commonly used as pavement materials, and cementitious binders are the main stabilising agents.’
- ‘Add any of a number of admixtures or supplementary cementitious materials, and again you alter the nature of the concrete.’
- ‘Why must we mix Portland cement with other cementitious materials?’
- ‘This paper has largely presented many of the developments and outstanding issues encountered with the characterisation of in situ cementitious stabilisation of pavement materials.’
- ‘Air-Krete is a magnesium silicate, cementitious (cement-based) insulation that is foamed and pumped into closed cavities.’
- ‘One rapidly growing industry that will have an impact on business is supplemental, cementitious products like slag cement.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.