Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Of the nature of cement.
- ‘This paper has largely presented many of the developments and outstanding issues encountered with the characterisation of in situ cementitious stabilisation of pavement materials.’
- ‘In some parts of the world sugar is still commonly used to retard the set of mortar and other cementitious products.’
- ‘Introduced in the late 1970s, Air Krete, a cementitious foam product containing magnesium oxide, is one of the few insulation products that chemically sensitive individuals seem to tolerate.’
- ‘Water, which weighs about 7.8 pounds per gallon, should equal approximately half the weight of the cementitious material (cement and lime) in the mix.’
- ‘Manufacturers are examining ways of using cementitious or fibrous core insulating materials in place of the plastic insulations.’
- ‘Addition of A.R. to cementitious grouts, combined with superplasticizer, modifies their rheological properties resulting in the enhancement of their penetrability and the grout propagation into the soil mass.’
- ‘One rapidly growing industry that will have an impact on business is supplemental, cementitious products like slag cement.’
- ‘Add any of a number of admixtures or supplementary cementitious materials, and again you alter the nature of the concrete.’
- ‘The interior walls have three coats of cementitious Portland cement plasters.’
- ‘Composed of encapsulated cementitious grout, the product can be used underwater, in overhead applications, in cold temperatures, or in any application where you require an anchor in concrete.’
- ‘Does the scope of PCA have to broaden to include all cementitious materials, or should it just stick to Portland cement?’
- ‘We conducted RCPT on a rapid-setting repair grout consisting of pre-blended cementitious material.’
- ‘The bond is achieved by applying a cementitious grout around the strands.’
- ‘Terratop is a cementitious terrazzo topping that bridges the gap between thick-build cementitious terrazzo and the thinner but more difficult to work epoxy terrazzo.’
- ‘Air-Krete is a magnesium silicate, cementitious (cement-based) insulation that is foamed and pumped into closed cavities.’
- ‘Why must we mix Portland cement with other cementitious materials?’
- ‘It was agreed that all the available evidence indicates that the Armouralia beading was fixed with dabs, probably of cementitious undercoat render, rather than being mechanically fixed.’
- ‘Clayey gravel or gravel, and crushed igneous rocks are commonly used as pavement materials, and cementitious binders are the main stabilising agents.’
- ‘To do that, we used estimates of the percentage of cement used in ready-mixed concrete, the cementitious materials content per cubic yard of concrete, and the proportion of Portland cement and fly ash in the cementitious material.’
- ‘Various stabilizers for the adobes themselves have been developed, with most, however, relying on cementitious or asphalt-based compounds.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.