One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A plant of a genus that includes cockscomb.
Genus Celosia, family Amarantaceae
- ‘Most of our celosia fell victim to damping off, and the larkspur and other flowers were late.’
- ‘Skip dwarf bedding plants; you need celosias 20-to 40-inches tall for dramatic vertical accent in arrangements.’
- ‘Hydrangeas, celosia, yarrow, baby's breath, rose buds, and cornflowers also dry well and make gorgeous decorations.’
- ‘Replace fading cool-season annuals with heat lovers like celosias, dahlias, marigolds, petunias, salvias, and verbenas.’
- ‘Colourful petunias, vincas, celosias, dahlias and so on offer a feast to the eyes.’
Modern Latin, from Greek kēlos ‘burnt or dry’ (from the burnt appearance of the flowers in some species).
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.