Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Persistent subcutaneous fat causing dimpling of the skin, especially on women's hips and thighs. Not in technical use.
- ‘Recently, she has noticed the accumulation of body fat and cellulite, especially on the back of her thighs and buttocks.’
- ‘If a thin person does not exercise, has poor skin tone or has a poor diet, she may also get cellulite, though a fat person will be more prone.’
- ‘But if you reduce your body fat, you can also minimize your cellulite.’
- ‘It's nearly the end of summer, and the trauma of exposing your cellulite is over for another year.’
- ‘I've also dropped two dress sizes, got a flat stomach for the first time in years and, surprise, surprise, lost my cellulite.’
- ‘Liposuction is not a treatment for weight control or obesity and it cannot remove cellulite or stretch marks.’
- ‘She ran the nozzle across my skin in gentle, swooping strokes while explaining that cellulite is no respecter of the lean, healthy or lissom, which pleased me no end.’
- ‘So, if cellulite is just plain old fat, why is it so stubborn?’
- ‘The pain gets slightly worse where the skin is looser and there's more cellulite.’
- ‘While this product didn't seem to have much effect on cellulite or toning, it did make my skin feel much smoother and softer.’
- ‘The therapist identifies areas affected by cellulite, then exfoliates the body.’
- ‘After the first couple of treatments, my cellulite seemed lumpier than usual.’
- ‘If he can cope with my cellulite, I can cope with his flab.’
- ‘Coffee grounds (warm, caffeinated) also help to improve the look of cellulite when massaged into skin in the shower.’
- ‘Is it possible to get rid of cellulite on the back of the legs or elsewhere?’
- ‘They can also help conceal cellulite and other imperfections.’
- ‘Plastic surgeons may recommend alternative treatments for cellulite to be used alone or in conjunction with lipoplasty.’
- ‘Liposuction does not change the structure of the skin, so can't get rid of cellulite.’
- ‘In the future, infrared laser therapy and massage could be used to break down fat and smooth cellulite.’
- ‘The less fat you have, the less noticeable cellulite is, which is why diet and exercise play an important role.’
1960s: from French, from cellule small cell.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.