Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A rigid layer of polysaccharides lying outside the plasma membrane of the cells of plants, fungi, and bacteria. In the algae and higher plants, it consists mainly of cellulose.→ wall
- ‘As a cell expands, its plasma membrane and cell wall must increase in area.’
- ‘Major constituents of the cell wall are cellulose, hemicelluloses and pectins.’
- ‘Components of the cell wall of fungi are powerful and general elicitors in plants.’
- ‘The direction of cell growth is determined by the orientation of the cellulose fibrils in the cell wall.’
- ‘Similar reactions can be seen in animal cells although they lack the rigid cell wall.’
cell wall/ˌsel ˈwôl/
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.