The division of a cell into two daughter cells with the same genetic material.
- ‘The precise duplication of the genetic material is critical for successful cell division.’
- ‘Alternatively, each cell division could give rise to two daughter cells, each of which divides.’
- ‘It is a specialized type of cell division whose genetic control has many components in common with mitosis.’
- ‘My research has identified how the process of copying the genetic material is linked to cell division.’
- ‘A very common early pattern of cell division in higher plants is seen with the first division of the zygote.’