Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Denoting the aspect of an immune response involving the action of white blood cells, rather than that of circulating antibodies.Often contrasted with humoral
- ‘HIV infection primarily affects those components of host immune response responsible for cell-mediated immunity.’
- ‘The immune system mounts a cell-mediated reaction in which macrophages attach to the outer walls of the bacteria for active phagocytosis.’
- ‘Smaller, isolated aggregations of lymphoid cells are also observed in the airway wall and may play a role in antigen uptake and cell-mediated immune responses.’
- ‘Sarcoidosis is considered to be a hypersensitivity disorder, in which an antigen induces a T cell-mediated cellular immune response.’
- ‘In the present study, we also observed that lymphocytes, the mediators of the cell-mediated immune response, are noted more frequently around Fas-positive but not Fas-negative cells.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.