One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The state of abstaining from marriage and sexual relations.‘his brother's priestly vow of celibacy’
chastity, virginity, maidenhood, maidenhead, abstinence, self-denial, self-restraint, abnegation, asceticismView synonyms
- ‘This experience may in part have influenced her commitment to making celibacy a central pillar of Shaker religious practice.’
- ‘During the ceremony they will commit themselves to celibacy, obedience to the church and to a life of prayer and service.’
- ‘Marriage has many pains, says Johnson in Rasselas, but celibacy has no pleasures.’
- ‘The early Church saw a debate between the proponents of chastity and celibacy.’
- ‘If you are struggling with celibacy like this, maybe active ministry isn't where you should be?’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.