One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
treated as singular The branch of theoretical astronomy that deals with the calculation of the motions of celestial objects such as planets.
- ‘Eclipses could be predicted with utmost precision, without the need for an understanding of celestial mechanics and the use of elaborate calculations on an electronic computer.’
- ‘This is how the inverse square law of attraction was extended from celestial mechanics to the motions of atoms.’
- ‘Modern scholarship has not seriously affected his stature in the fields of mathematics, dynamics, celestial mechanics, astronomy, optics, natural philosophy, or cosmology.’
- ‘He contributed to many areas of astronomy and mathematics including celestial mechanics, analytic mechanics, statistics and numerical analysis.’
- ‘Once the distance to the Sun was known, the distances to all of the other planets could be easily derived from our knowledge of celestial mechanics (the way things move in space) and from this, the size of the Solar System.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.