Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A blank compact disc that can be recorded, erased, and rerecorded many times.
- ‘For a bit more money you can get a CD-RW that records CDs or a DVD-ROM that plays DVD movies.’
- ‘The CD-RW drive allows you to produce both write-once CD-R and rewritable CD-RW discs.’
- ‘A larger, 30GB hard drive and a CD-RW option will both be made available through Apple's build-to-order service.’
- ‘Files can also be protected on USB Flash Drives, Memory Sticks, CD-RW, floppies and notebooks.’
- ‘The 500MHz model is the first with a CD-RW drive, and provides 20GB of storage and 64MB of memory.’
- ‘When I come home, I insert the second CD-RW and wait a half an hour.’
- ‘You'll also want to consider a DVD burner, and of course a CD-RW drive is a must for this category.’
- ‘Thanks to a built-in CD-RW / DVD drive, it can rip and burn CDs, and play DVDs.’
- ‘If you want to have the flexibility of recording and re-recording audio music, you will need to purchase a CD-RW disc.’
- ‘When it comes time to backup my entire hard drive, however, I chose to use an external CD-RW writer for my laptop.’
- ‘The Inspiron shortages stemmed from supply problems with 8x CD-RW drives and 32MB graphics cards.’
- ‘I produced a Video-CD album of pictures using the bundled Roxio software and burned it to a standard CD-RW disc.’
- ‘Standing for Compact Disc Rewritable, CD-RW overcame the write-once limitation of CD-R.’
- ‘You may also find that you'll have to make do with a single optical drive and won't have the luxury of both a DVD player and a CD-RW.’
- ‘By contrast, shipments of rewritable CD-RW have doubled recently.’
- ‘It's a technique used by rewritable CD-RW discs today.’
- ‘By booting to Linux, the software is able to support the latest storage devices, such as CD-RW and writable DVD devices.’
- ‘Unlike CD-RW, the CD-R media has been around for a little over 10 years and is supported by almost all CD players.’
- ‘For both CD-RW and DVD drives, highly integrated front-end signal processors are now available on the market.’
- ‘It includes a DVD / CD-RW, which allows you to both play and record any DVD or CD that you wish.’
1980s: abbreviation of compact disc rewritable.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.