Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A blank compact disc that can be recorded, erased, and rerecorded many times.
- ‘Files can also be protected on USB Flash Drives, Memory Sticks, CD-RW, floppies and notebooks.’
- ‘It's a technique used by rewritable CD-RW discs today.’
- ‘You may also find that you'll have to make do with a single optical drive and won't have the luxury of both a DVD player and a CD-RW.’
- ‘It includes a DVD / CD-RW, which allows you to both play and record any DVD or CD that you wish.’
- ‘A larger, 30GB hard drive and a CD-RW option will both be made available through Apple's build-to-order service.’
- ‘The Inspiron shortages stemmed from supply problems with 8x CD-RW drives and 32MB graphics cards.’
- ‘The CD-RW drive allows you to produce both write-once CD-R and rewritable CD-RW discs.’
- ‘Thanks to a built-in CD-RW / DVD drive, it can rip and burn CDs, and play DVDs.’
- ‘When it comes time to backup my entire hard drive, however, I chose to use an external CD-RW writer for my laptop.’
- ‘Unlike CD-RW, the CD-R media has been around for a little over 10 years and is supported by almost all CD players.’
- ‘You'll also want to consider a DVD burner, and of course a CD-RW drive is a must for this category.’
- ‘By contrast, shipments of rewritable CD-RW have doubled recently.’
- ‘For both CD-RW and DVD drives, highly integrated front-end signal processors are now available on the market.’
- ‘By booting to Linux, the software is able to support the latest storage devices, such as CD-RW and writable DVD devices.’
- ‘When I come home, I insert the second CD-RW and wait a half an hour.’
- ‘If you want to have the flexibility of recording and re-recording audio music, you will need to purchase a CD-RW disc.’
- ‘The 500MHz model is the first with a CD-RW drive, and provides 20GB of storage and 64MB of memory.’
- ‘I produced a Video-CD album of pictures using the bundled Roxio software and burned it to a standard CD-RW disc.’
- ‘Standing for Compact Disc Rewritable, CD-RW overcame the write-once limitation of CD-R.’
- ‘For a bit more money you can get a CD-RW that records CDs or a DVD-ROM that plays DVD movies.’
1980s: abbreviation of compact disc rewritable.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.