One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A compact disc used as a read-only optical memory device for a computer system.
- ‘Many people are producing Shakespeare hypertext CD-ROMs and Shakespeare Web sites, as well as on-line sources for other Renaissance materials.’
- ‘When a book is no longer going to be published, it gets archived to a CD-ROM or a DVD.’
- ‘The FBI tells us it saved the world by seizing ‘floppy disks, CD-ROMs and other related equipment’.’
- ‘Over 600,000 copies of pirated, silkscreened Norton Antivirus CD-ROMs were found, Symantec said then.’
- ‘These can then be published via standalone CD-ROMs, floppy disks, and screensavers or published in web format.’
- ‘Modern motherboard chipsets will boot from a CD-ROM more easily than a floppy diskette.’
- ‘It is understood the CD-ROM contained instructions and source code for writing viruses.’
- ‘To this end, QuadriSpace Presenter also has tools to create self-running CD-ROMs and interactive Internet movies.’
- ‘A ‘retro’ virus which spreads by floppy disks and CD-ROMs is spreading across Scandinavia.’
- ‘Both of these attacks can be easily subverted by booting the affected computer from a CD-ROM.’
- ‘What shall we do with all of those computer disks and CD-ROMs that inundate our mailboxes?’
- ‘There may be CD-ROMs, videos, audio cassettes and computer games available.’
- ‘I need information on how to create a floppy that will allow me to load Linux from a CD-ROM.’
- ‘The data come on a DVD or series of CD-ROMs and include GIS software.’
- ‘Some 180 officers took part in the raids and seized 86 computer systems and more than 3,000 CD-ROMs and videos.’
- ‘The client had trouble with her CD-ROM and had the computer apart in order to do more troubleshooting.’
- ‘The difference between DVD-ROM and DVD-Video is comparable to the difference between CD-ROMs and audio CDs.’
- ‘Put the drive you are installing from, either the floppy or the CD-ROM, ahead of your hard drive.’
- ‘All you have to do is remove the CD-ROM or floppy drive and put a battery in its place.’
- ‘Mr Adams said the material seized by the police from the party's office included a floppy disk and a CD-ROM.’
1980s: abbreviation of compact disc read-only memory.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.