Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A compact disc used as a read-only optical memory device for a computer system.
- ‘All you have to do is remove the CD-ROM or floppy drive and put a battery in its place.’
- ‘There may be CD-ROMs, videos, audio cassettes and computer games available.’
- ‘Many people are producing Shakespeare hypertext CD-ROMs and Shakespeare Web sites, as well as on-line sources for other Renaissance materials.’
- ‘The client had trouble with her CD-ROM and had the computer apart in order to do more troubleshooting.’
- ‘Both of these attacks can be easily subverted by booting the affected computer from a CD-ROM.’
- ‘Some 180 officers took part in the raids and seized 86 computer systems and more than 3,000 CD-ROMs and videos.’
- ‘To this end, QuadriSpace Presenter also has tools to create self-running CD-ROMs and interactive Internet movies.’
- ‘Over 600,000 copies of pirated, silkscreened Norton Antivirus CD-ROMs were found, Symantec said then.’
- ‘The FBI tells us it saved the world by seizing ‘floppy disks, CD-ROMs and other related equipment’.’
- ‘The data come on a DVD or series of CD-ROMs and include GIS software.’
- ‘The difference between DVD-ROM and DVD-Video is comparable to the difference between CD-ROMs and audio CDs.’
- ‘A ‘retro’ virus which spreads by floppy disks and CD-ROMs is spreading across Scandinavia.’
- ‘I need information on how to create a floppy that will allow me to load Linux from a CD-ROM.’
- ‘When a book is no longer going to be published, it gets archived to a CD-ROM or a DVD.’
- ‘These can then be published via standalone CD-ROMs, floppy disks, and screensavers or published in web format.’
- ‘What shall we do with all of those computer disks and CD-ROMs that inundate our mailboxes?’
- ‘Mr Adams said the material seized by the police from the party's office included a floppy disk and a CD-ROM.’
- ‘Put the drive you are installing from, either the floppy or the CD-ROM, ahead of your hard drive.’
- ‘It is understood the CD-ROM contained instructions and source code for writing viruses.’
- ‘Modern motherboard chipsets will boot from a CD-ROM more easily than a floppy diskette.’
1980s: abbreviation of compact disc read-only memory.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.