Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A blank compact disc which can be recorded on once only.
- ‘A CD-R or a DVD may last 100 years, although we don't really know for sure.’
- ‘We received a CD-R with drivers, and a product sheet, but no manual or rear IO shield.’
- ‘Essentially, if you try to copy a Cactus-protected CD, you end up with a CD-R full not of music, but of noise.’
- ‘I had a similar situation with my own CD-R and was getting errors until I put an extra fan in to cool it.’
- ‘SafeAudio ensures that files copied this way still contain the data corruption, which then prevents them being copied again - back to a CD-R, say.’
- ‘The only thing approaching a standard to compare with the floppy is the CD-R which is an inconvenient form factor and scores low on ease of use.’
- ‘The fact is, if your video is valuable enough to be put on a CD-R or CD-RW disc, the real issue is whether the disc can be trusted - not how much it costs.’
- ‘But you have to ‘finalize’ a CD-R before it can be read in any drive other than the one that recorded it.’
- ‘Thumb drives have virtually replaced floppy diskettes - even the CD-R.’
- ‘These will come with 256Mb RAM, 80GB hard drive and CD-R and DVD drives.’
- ‘Many wise men thought our problems were solved with the advent of the CD-R aka recordable compact disc.’
- ‘Accompanying the CD-R is a set of proof pages that the printer can use to make sure that the magazine that is being printed matches the sample pages.’
- ‘Which is why a 650MB CD-R holds just over an hour's worth of music.’
- ‘Restores are performed in the same way from a CD-R / RW or CD-ROM drive.’
- ‘CD burning software developer Optima Technology has sued rival Roxio and threatened any other company that allows users to record information onto a CD-R.’
- ‘It backs up to CD-R or recordable DVD, utilizes compression to save space and keeps detailed logs of what it does.’
- ‘If you choose to send me a CD-R or CD-RW disc with data on it, we'll be able to play it back on any of these devices.’
- ‘Addonics quotes a typical duplication time for a full CD-R of 12 minutes, and 40 minutes for DVD-R or DVD + R discs.’
- ‘I reburned the same data at 48x, which is the rated speed of the CD-R, but was met with the same problem with the AOpen.’
- ‘It squeezes all your files onto your CD-Rs, and it restores them again if necessary.’
1980s: abbreviation of compact disc recordable.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.