Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Charge-coupled device, a high-speed semiconductor used chiefly in image detection.
- ‘Microscopes have even entered the digital age, using charge-coupled devices and digital cameras to capture images.’
- ‘Since George Smith and Williard Boyle developed the first charge-coupled device at Bell Labs in 1969, futurists and scientists have imagined an infinite number of uses for electronic imaging.’
- ‘All images were captured digitally using a SenSys charge-coupled device camera (Roper Scientific, Tucson, AZ) attached to an Olympus BX60 epifluorescence microscope.’
- ‘Two-dimensional diffraction patterns were recorded using a high-sensitivity charge-coupled device detector.’
- ‘One award goes to the Waterhouse Lane imaging group which uses charge-coupled devices to reduce the need for dental X-rays.’
2Confraternity of Christian Doctrine.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.