One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A member of an Iroquoian people originally inhabiting part of New York State, one of the five peoples comprising the original Iroquois confederacy.
- ‘Unlike many other tribes, the Cayuga weren't interested in casino rights.’
- ‘The Mohawk and Oneida are quite similar, as are the Cayuga and Seneca; the Onondaga and Tuscarora are each different from the five others.’
- ‘The Oneidas subsequently joined, and later the Cayugas and Senecas.’
- ‘The stock was issued to get the Cayugas to allow Empire to build one or more hotels that would complement the casino on taxable property off the raceway site, he said.’
- ‘Among the Cayuga of New York state, the rules of a game of chance called dish, which were documented in the late nineteenth century, clearly demonstrate that the players understood the laws of probability.’
2The Iroquoian language of the Cayuga.
- ‘The Cherokee language belongs to the Iroquoian family of languages and is therefore related to Mohawk, Seneca, Onondaga, Oneida, Cayuga, and Tuscarora, among others.’
- ‘Reader ‘Lewsdarren’ suggests any affected sports team could change its name to the Ohdroht, which means ‘kind of scary’ in the Cayuga language.’
- ‘The Oneida language belongs to the Iroquoian language family, which also includes the Mohawk, Onondaga, Cayuga, and Seneca tongues.’
Relating to the Cayuga or their language.
- ‘In July 1999, after Cayuga County broke off settlement talks with the Cayuga tribe, tribal officials announced that they would seek to evict 7,000 landowners.’
- ‘‘Susan is fascinating,’ says Linda Spielman, coordinator of the Cayuga group.’
- ‘The reason, publishers said, was because members of the Cayuga Nation believed the essay unfairly analyzed the Cayuga land claim case.’
- ‘My Cayuga parents had three boys and two daughters.’
- ‘It appears that there is no attachment to the Cayuga area.’
From an Iroquoian place name.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.