Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A low bank or reef of coral, rock, or sand.Compare with key
shoal, bar, sandbar, sandbank, spitView synonyms
- ‘Heron is a tiny Barrier Reef coral cay, of only 17 hectares, in the Capricornia Group of islands of Australia's Great Barrier Reef.’
- ‘The Abacos are a group of islands and cays stretching across 30 miles of shallow sparkling water.’
- ‘The archipelago consists of approximately seven hundred islands and cays, plus nearly 2,400 reefs and rock formations.’
- ‘You can enjoy brilliant corals, pristine cays, white sandy beaches and endless marine life.’
- ‘Instead, the uniform azure of the sea was broken only by the colours of the coral cays: turquoise, tourmaline, amethyst and lapis lazuli.’
- ‘There are over 700 islands and 3,000 cays in the Bahamas.’
- ‘If you're a non-swimmer, take a tour that brings you to a coral cay rather than the open sea.’
- ‘On one of these cays the social behavior and population dynamics of the species have been studied for over 30 years.’
- ‘But many of the 700 islands and 2,000 cays that make up the archipelago are either uninhabited or have much smaller-scale tourism.’
- ‘How policy trickles down from UNESCO headquarters in Europe to a sand cay on the outer edge of the Great Barrier Reef half a world away is something else entirely.’
- ‘Parola Island and the Lawak, Panata and Rizal Reefs are among a group of islands, reefs and cays claimed by the Philippines in the Spratlys.’
- ‘The Pandora survivors managed to climb aboard tenders and reach the safety of a sand cay.’
- ‘Low Isles make the most minimal of archipelagos; just two islands; the one, a small sunny cay of coral sand, and the other, a dark wilderness of mangroves.’
- ‘Free-spirited British adventurers were believed to have settled illicitly within the cays and reefs of a coast once claimed by Spain.’
- ‘It has more than 1,000 islands, from sandy cays to rainforest isles, and supports prolific marine life.’
- ‘Many of the experts agree that the future of the lizard populations will depend on the fate of the lizards on these cays (islands).’
- ‘Nansha is contested by PRC, Vietnam, Taiwan, Malaysia and the Philippines and comprises 104 islands, reefs, cays and banks.’
- ‘Boobies that nest on the ground, the masked gannet and the brown booby, are also found on remote cays of the Great Barrier Reef.’
- ‘There are about 50 islands and cays (most of which are uninhabited) in the US Virgin Islands, which lie about 40 miles east of Puerto Rico.’
- ‘Here we are a nation just some islands and cays just 100 miles away from the richest superpower in the world, and we don't have running water everywhere.’
Late 17th century: from Spanish cayo shoal, reef from French quai quay.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.