One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A Spanish sparkling wine made in the same way as champagne.
champagne, sparkling wineView synonyms
- ‘Italian prosecco, Spanish cava, or American sparkling wines are sometimes the best buys on a wine list.’
- ‘Spanish cava, produced just outside Barcelona, was until the early 1970s labelled and sold as cheap champagne in the UK.’
- ‘Good bubblies are made in California, too, and the prices generally fall between the inexpensive Spanish cavas and the French nonvintage brut champagnes.’
- ‘After all, champagne and cava are two of my favourite things, and I've been assured that they've got it in abundance at the party.’
- ‘This vintage cava has raspberry and cranberry notes with a refreshing citrus zest.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.