One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Relating to or denoting the caudate nucleus.
- ‘Cranial CT and magnetic resonance imaging revealed a small metastasis in the right caudate nucleus.’
- ‘The findings suggest that the hippocampal memory system sometimes interferes with learning in the caudate nucleus.’
- ‘The caudate lobe, located in the lesser curvature of the stomach caudal to the duodenum, is one of the auxiliary lobes now used as a landmark for gastric surgery.’
- ‘A well-defined bundle of nerve fibers occupies the furrow between the caudate nucleus and the thalamus.’
- ‘Inferiorly, the caudate lobe is near the inferior vena cava and the quadrate lobe rests near the gallbladder.’
(of an animal) having a tail.
- short for caudate nucleus
- ‘Atrophy is most marked in the corpus striatum of the basal ganglia, including the caudate and putamen.’
- ‘The putamen is separated from the caudate by the anterior limb of the internal capsule.’
- ‘Another nearby brain region, the medial caudate, showed increased activity not only during anticipation of increasing rewards but also during anticipation of increasing punishments.’
- ‘Another similarity the researchers found was that both groups had decreases in activity in the right caudate.’
- ‘The term corpus striatum refers to the caudate, putamen, and globus pallidus.’
Early 17th century: from medieval Latin caudatus, from cauda ‘tail’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.