One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Deliberately hurtful in one's remarks; spiteful.
malicious, mean, nasty, cruel, unkind, unfriendly, snide, hurtful, wounding, barbed, cutting, hateful, ill-natured, bitter, venomous, poisonous, acid, hostile, rancorous, malevolent, evil-intentioned, baleful, vindictive, vengeful, vitriolic, vicious, splenetic, malign, malignant, biliousView synonyms
- ‘ABC couldn't resist a catty comment on its Web site.’
- ‘The book is an acquired taste, but on stage it revealed itself as an entertaining character comedy thanks to a set of brilliant performances led by Ward as a catty matriarch driven by self-interest.’
- ‘Girls engage in catty behavior and nasty comments, judging each other on appearance and material possessions.’
- ‘I even made a catty remark about her hairband back in 1992, for which I'm truly sorry.’
- ‘So when you post catty comments about your boss, it is the same as doing so in an interview.’
- ‘We have many friends and acquaintances with different political values, but these two are the only ones who feel the need to ruin a perfectly nice evening with snide and catty comments about people whom they know we support.’
- ‘An office would not be an office without gossip and catty remarks.’
- ‘She was the fighter in our group; she could make a tough girl cry with her endless barrage of snotty remarks and catty comebacks.’
- ‘Is this really what she dreamed of doing when she was in college: writing catty comments about the clothes and hairstyles of people who have actually accomplished things in their own lives?’
- ‘And as nerves fray and tempers rise you can be assured of a catty remark or backstage rumpus.’
- ‘You never get catty comments like that from female customers.’
- ‘The book sporadically manages to be amusingly catty, but never, try as it may, moving.’
- ‘Let joy raise you above negative comments, catty remarks or outright persecution.’
- ‘The climbing world can be a remarkably catty place, so it came as no surprise that not everyone was awed by the Russians' feat.’
- ‘I thought the hardest part of my recovery would be the pain and the crutches; I wasn't prepared for catty remarks from other dancers.’
- ‘They can make all the catty remarks they want and still not pass math.’
- ‘Before Minerva could defend Kelly with a catty remark, Kelly cut her short.’
- ‘I didn't think these girls could be so catty.’
- ‘Certain catty colleagues liked to read these stories aloud.’
- ‘I was racking my mind for some kind of catty remark, but was coming up empty.’
2Relating to cats; catlike.
- ‘Here are some other uplifting things: a cycle ride in the sun, coffee in the garden, a sleepy-eyed hello from the cat, which summons up the energy to eat some catty lunch before going for another sleep.’
A slingshot.‘on the way to school we took potshots at dogs with our catty’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.