One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A pointed or slanting ceiling of a room that rises through more than one floor.
- ‘At the entrance to the California Academy of Sciences in San Francisco, a 235-pound brass pendulum bob swings on a thirty-foot cable fixed to the cathedral ceiling.’
- ‘The property itself is a small romantic hideaway with ritzy accommodation, featuring whitewashed beams, cathedral ceilings and private patios.’
- ‘Spacious living rooms with cathedral ceilings house natural red brick fireplaces with wood-burning stoves, while the Shaker-style kitchens have Belfast sinks and unpolished marble tiled floors.’
- ‘In fact, cathedral ceilings are a hallmark of timber-frame houses simply because they are so easy to create.’
- ‘Rigid board insulation is made to be used in confined spaces such as exterior walls, basements, foundation and stem walls, concrete slabs, and cathedral ceilings.’
- ‘There were cathedral ceilings, intricate design elements everywhere, and huge hanging chandeliers; a splendid place.’
- ‘Straight ahead is the living room, which features a cathedral ceiling and double patio doors which offer views of Lough Corrib and the Roscommon hills.’
- ‘And the buyers loved the cathedral ceilings and soaring staircase volumes.’
- ‘But the room's three-gable cathedral ceiling and warm yellow walls give it an architectural feeling of its own.’
- ‘Garrett raised his head and gazed up at the cathedral ceiling.’
- ‘Because it was not necessary to accurately predict temperatures at roof level, we approximated the triangular shapes of the sloped cathedral ceiling, for example, with rectangular geometry.’
- ‘Enter inside though and the high cathedral ceilings, elegant chandeliers and smooth hardwood floors remind you of a Hampton's mansion.’
- ‘‘Instead of doing a cathedral ceiling and exposing the skylight, we did a flat ceiling and cut slits where we wanted indirect light,’ Orr explains.’
- ‘The historic dining room is dominated by a stone fireplace and soaring wooden cathedral ceiling.’
- ‘Find a ZIP code that includes many homes with cathedral ceilings, and send a well designed brochure or a postcard featuring some of your featured artwork for large walls.’
- ‘This required major demolition: the couple had to add load-bearing beams for cathedral ceilings and build a new roof that stayed at the same height as the original.’
- ‘In conventional and cathedral ceilings, insulation is easier to blow in if an access opening through the ceiling already exists.’
- ‘Each model features arched cathedral ceilings, and the absence of load-bearing interior walls makes for easily configured, or reconfigured, open spaces.’
- ‘The room is enormous - about 85 feet from end to end, more than 50 feet wide, and with vaulted cathedral ceilings.’
- ‘The south wall of the cabin rises to a big window beneath the tall cathedral ceiling.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.