One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Relating to cathexis.
- ‘By October 1977 when the paintings were first exhibited, their cathectic energy had become exhausted - so much so that the presence of these extraordinary pictures was no longer regarded a necessity in Germany.’
- ‘The scene describing the woman's encounter with the Latino boy suggests that their relationship has a cathectic dynamic.’
- ‘Perhaps, dislocated as they are now from their original telos, the cycle could continue to release cathectic energies and be transformed into a nonspecific work of mourning.’
- ‘Indeed, it requires a ‘great expense of time and cathectic energy’ during which ‘the existence of the lost object is psychically prolonged.’’
- ‘Both neo-colonial and advanced capitalist/colonial states organize and reinforce a cathectic structure based in sexual difference, which they enforce through a variety of means, including legislation.’
1920s: from Greek kathektikos ‘capable of holding’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.