One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A connected series or chain.
- ‘Equation 2, though derived for the growth of cells, may be used to conceptualize how water transport from selected points along the soil - stem - leaf catena affects the growth of leaves.’
- ‘Since then catenas have been recognized in a variety of areas and under a variety of climatic conditions, an indication of the strength of the relationship between soil and topography.’
- 1.1 A connected series of texts written by early Christian theologians.
- ‘Finally, in ‘The Law of the Spirit,’ Newman, again using 6: 11 in a catena of verses, unabashedly declares the inward transformation of the sinner; we are made righteous.’
- ‘5 This verse was also used in the previous sermon as one of the quotations in the catena of Scripture referred to.’
Mid 17th century: from Latin, ‘chain’, originally in catena patrum ‘chain of the (Church) Fathers’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.