Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The error of assigning to something a quality or action that can properly be assigned to things only of another category, for example, treating abstract concepts as though they had a physical location.
- ‘To apply the political term ‘authoritarian’ to an ontological account may at first seem to be a simple category mistake.’
- ‘In the words of the philosophers, it is a category mistake to put miracles and laws in the same set.’
- ‘Atheism is primarily an episode in the history of the decline of Christianity, and the idea that there is anything resembling an atheist tradition beyond that limited context is a category mistake.’
- ‘To suggest that embodied chemical properties can solve systemic institutional problems is to commit a serious category mistake.’
- ‘Indeed, some opponents of temporal-parts theories contend that the theory rests on just such a category mistake - the mistake of treating persisting objects as if they were processes.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.