One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A large store, typically one of a chain, which specializes in a particular type of discounted merchandise and becomes the dominant retailer in that category.
- ‘But it's still taking it on the chin from discounters and category killers such as Wal-Mart and Target, Circuit City and Best Buy and Home Depot and Lowe's.’
- ‘Rick Heller is the managing editor of SoftPolitics, a Web site that has established itself as a category killer with one-stop shopping for consumers of political blogs across the spectrum.’
- ‘A server at a ‘reasonable price’ with the ability to record and pause live television could be ‘Apple's next category killer.’’
- ‘In electronics, where Wal-Mart held back on promotions, category killers such as Best Buy and Circuit City Stores Inc. kept their early discounts roughly in line with 2003 levels.’
- ‘Dutch company Philips is still the category killer when it comes to design, and this environmentally conscious TV breaks new ground.’
- ‘Analysts consider PowerPoint the category killer; it accounts for at least 95% of the presentation software market.’
- ‘Thankfully for WebEx and its investors, however, the first version of Microsoft's product isn't a category killer.’
- ‘If it delivers half of what it promises it could be a legitimate category killer.’
- ‘As indicated by our results, some of the least-known companies scored higher overall than their brand-name brethren - just a reminder that today's ‘no name’ could become tomorrow's category killer.’
- ‘They're under attack from both ends: the higher-priced, service-oriented stores such as Neiman Marcus and Nordstrom and, at the other end, big-box category killers and discounters.’
- ‘This is an opportunity to build a category killer.’
- ‘The strategy clearly works: Today, says Goolsby, 42% of the recorded music sold in America comes from the discounters and category killers, up from some 25% in 1992.’
- ‘With Wal-Mart and others increasingly interested only in the briskest-selling products, it turns out that suppliers are better off with a clutch of category killers than a cartful of so-so sellers.’
- ‘‘In every retailing industry, there are category killers who figure out how to have a very low cost structure and pass those advantages on to customers, day in and day out, with better pricing,’ he says.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.