One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Any of a class of aromatic amines that includes a number of neurotransmitters such as epinephrine and dopamine.
- ‘In high concentrations, arginine induces several hormones, including pituitary growth hormone, insulin, vasopressin, adrenal catecholamines, and somatostatin.’
- ‘The tyrosine derivatives are the thyroid hormones, and the catecholamines (adrenaline and noradrenaline) which are produced in the medulla of the adrenal glands.’
- ‘In the brain, high levels of the catecholamines dopamine and norepinephrine are released in the PFC during stress exposure, even during relatively mild psychological stress.’
- ‘Dopamine is the most abundant chemical in a class of neurotransmitters called catecholamines.’
- ‘Other hormones that influence blood sugar levels are cortisol, growth hormone and catecholamines (epinephrine and norepinephrine).’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.