Any of a class of aromatic amines that includes a number of neurotransmitters such as epinephrine and dopamine.
- ‘Dopamine is the most abundant chemical in a class of neurotransmitters called catecholamines.’
- ‘In high concentrations, arginine induces several hormones, including pituitary growth hormone, insulin, vasopressin, adrenal catecholamines, and somatostatin.’
- ‘In the brain, high levels of the catecholamines dopamine and norepinephrine are released in the PFC during stress exposure, even during relatively mild psychological stress.’
- ‘Other hormones that influence blood sugar levels are cortisol, growth hormone and catecholamines (epinephrine and norepinephrine).’
- ‘The tyrosine derivatives are the thyroid hormones, and the catecholamines (adrenaline and noradrenaline) which are produced in the medulla of the adrenal glands.’