Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A crystalline compound that is the major constituent of catechu.
- ‘Green tea contains compounds called catechins, including epigallocatechin gallate - the main catechin responsible for the tea's thermogenic and antioxidant properties.’
- ‘Black Catechu, a component of SJS, was found to have polyphenol components such as catechin which has strong scavenging effects on oxygen radicals.’
- ‘One could conclude that foods rich in longer-chain catechin oligomers are most likely to provide bioavailable catechin.’
- ‘Other nutrients important for gum health include vitamin A, zinc, vitamin E, selenium, and flavonoids such as quercetin, catechin, anthocyanidins and proanthocyanidins.’
- ‘Apples are rich in plant compounds called flavonoids including catechin and quercetin.’
Mid 19th century: from catechu + -in.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.