Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(of a tune or phrase) instantly appealing and memorable.‘a catchy recruiting slogan’
memorable, unforgettableappealing, captivating, snappy, with instant appealPopularsingable, melodious, melodic, tunefulView synonyms
- ‘There are a few catchy tunes for the kids to sing along with, but even these seem to be too few and far between.’
- ‘Ted uses lots of catchy songs, puzzles and word games to help the children have fun and learn while watching.’
- ‘It is a very catchy tune and is getting a lot of airplay on the local radio stations.’
- ‘In this case, the Strokes return the favour by turning in some tuneful, varied and above all catchy songs.’
- ‘A song with a catchy tune and outstanding lyrics might do a lot to fill the cinema theatres.’
- ‘It mixes innocent fun with catchy songs, an eye-catching setting and easy things for the audience to do.’
- ‘As with any expectant new band, one of the first decisions that had to be made was to choose a catchy name.’
- ‘I walk out of movies and plays, and I never accept invitations to operas that have no catchy tunes in them.’
- ‘Then The Smiths came on Top of the Pops with an odd, catchy tune called This Charming Man.’
- ‘They've come up with all manner of catchy slogans designed to tip the scales in their favour.’
- ‘Cole Porter's brilliantly catchy songs sound as good today as they ever did.’
- ‘On Painkiller, Griffin's soft falsetto floats above a catchy chorus and sweet pop melody.’
- ‘However, every track is a gem of poetry and the tunes are disarmingly catchy.’
- ‘Besides, it was a catchy tune, and the people didn't have to know what it meant in order to enjoy it.’
- ‘When it comes to soundtracks, all a film needs is a couple catchy tunes to hook the record buyer.’
- ‘Losing All Control is the only hint of a darker edge, but even then they can't resist a catchy chorus.’
- ‘They've shown that there is more to advertising than a catchy slogan and a memorable logo.’
- ‘They know how to sit down, put their words to a tune, and craft it into a catchy song.’
- ‘All this takes place on a beautiful set that shimmers like an icicle, and includes catchy songs by Tim Hans Smith.’
- ‘While the vocalists have an ear for a catchy turn of phrase, there isn't much substance to back it up.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.