Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1[predicative] (of a disease) infectious.‘Huntington's chorea isn't catching’
infectious, contagious, communicable, transmittable, transmissible, transferable, spreadinginfectiveView synonyms
- ‘It brings to mind a contagious catching ailment.’
- ‘The patient may be afraid that their partner will think that it is catching.’
- ‘The disease is catching and will spread to other trees.’
- ‘I am sure you have been in a situation when someone laughed, and it just seemed as though the laughter was catching.’
- ‘Billy's zest for life and sense of fun is catching.’
- 1.1(of a person's emotion or mood) likely to spread to other people.‘her enthusiasm is catching’
- ‘Habits such as smoking and, indeed, overeating were also found to be catching.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.