One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Shine or glint in the light.
shine, glimmer, glint, catch the light, glitter, shimmer, glow, sparkle, twinkle, flicker, blink, wink, glisten, flash, flare, beam, fluoresceView synonyms
- ‘The crystals that hung form the chandeliers sparkled, almost with life, as they caught the light of each tiny flame, recasting it in a bright array of colors.’
- ‘A heavy frost has left the garden covered in a sparkling layer of white that catches the light as the sun comes through the clouds.’
- ‘Her eyes are a piercing shade of light blue; when they catch the light, the effect is truly arresting.’
- ‘Her spectacles caught the light from somewhere and glimmered under the straight blonde of her hair.’
- ‘Try a healthy dose of illumination for your eyes with discreet, shimmery pigments that catch the light and radiate a heart-stopping, soft glow.’
- ‘To play up the effect of the candle light, add some decorative items that will catch the light.’
- ‘Her necklace caught the light and shimmered against her skin.’
- ‘Our swords flashed through the air, catching the light.’
- ‘When she turned away, her earrings caught the light.’
- ‘Its shimmering texture caught the light perfectly.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.