One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Relating to primates of a group that comprises the Old World monkeys, gibbons, great apes, and humans. They are distinguished by having nostrils that are close together and directed downward.Compare with platyrrhine
- ‘To control for fundamental differences in the primate radiations, we restricted our analyses to catarrhine primates.’
- ‘It has been independently lost or reduced in several amniote lineages, however, including crocodilians, birds, tuataras, iguanian lizards, cetaceans, and catarrhine primates.’
- ‘With the exception of a few anomalous primate genomes, such as the hylobatids, most of the catarrhine primates appear to possess very large, conserved ancient linkage groups.’
- ‘However, it may represent a peroneus digiti V superior or longus, such as seen in catarrhine monkeys.’
- ‘Distal radii of catarrhine primates exhibiting different forms of locomotion and hand postures were examined.’
A catarrhine primate.
Mid 19th century: from cata- ‘down’ + Greek rhis, rhin- ‘nose’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.