One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Blood and other matter discharged from the uterus at menstruation.
period, menstrual cycleView synonyms
- ‘After delivery, the lochia continue to flow for a longer time than the true catamenia.’
- ‘Females exposed to cold or undergoing powerful excitements, experience a suppression of the catamenia.’
- ‘I am of opinion that, if the general health were perfectly good, the cessation of the catamenia would always be accomplished naturally.’
- ‘Girls rarely conceive before the catamenia appear.’
- ‘The deficiency of the catamenia in these cases may be looked upon as incurable.’
Mid 18th century: Greek, neuter plural form of katamēnios ‘monthly’, from kata ‘down’ + mēn ‘month’: see -ia.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.