One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A yacht or other boat with twin hulls in parallel.
- ‘Consequently, to get the best of both speed and stability he developed a catamaran: two long thin hulls joined by a deck.’
- ‘Elegant yachts, powerboats and catamarans moor up at the jetty bringing a daily stream of lively faces eager to learn more about this beautiful island and the stunning architecture of the village-once the French capital of St Lucia.’
- ‘Yachts and catamarans offer sunset cruises too.’
- ‘The catamaran anchored off the Ancon Peninsula so holidaymakers could snorkel or swim, the inquest was told.’
- ‘High speed catamarans or hydrofoils will whisk up to 150 passengers on the 30-minute journey from Fife to Edinburgh's waterfront every half an hour at peak times.’
- ‘Sunday will feature a long-distance race for catamarans and keelboats.’
- ‘If you charter a boat in Miami, you can pick and choose among spacious trawlers, luxurious motor yachts, or swift catamarans.’
- ‘Here the reef is just an hour away, serviced by elegant chartered catamarans and yachts.’
- ‘As we scrambled ashore, more experienced sailors were taking to the water with glee aboard a fleet of dinghies and catamarans.’
- ‘There are a number of different sailing vessels currently operating out of Thailand, from mono hulled outfits to catamarans or even trimaran yachts.’
- ‘Hire that yacht or catamaran and sail away for at least three days, a week would be better.’
- ‘We're not talking sea-going yacht or racing catamaran here, just a simple flat-bottomed boat to get a closer look at the reef and marine life.’
- ‘If lying on the beach doesn't keep them busy, there are catamarans, glass-bottom boat trips, plunge pools, a long, white sandy beach and plenty of water sports to occupy their time during the day.’
- ‘The 59-year-old was escorted into harbour by 400 motorboats, yachts, catamarans and canoes blowing sirens and whistles.’
- ‘The kinds of boats available range from 80-foot motor yachts and sprawling catamarans to smaller sailboats that cater to couples.’
- ‘Our dive boat was a 14m catamaran with two 250 h.p. engines, and it looked just great.’
- ‘You need to charter catamarans, not monohulls, to explore these incredible seas.’
- ‘It has an air-cushioned catamaran hull and waterjet propulsion, which provides high speed and manoeuvrability.’
- ‘The submarine was then guided onto the cradle and hoisted aboard the catamaran mother ship.’
- ‘Come dusk, the distant lights of fishing boats and catamarans form a necklace around the curving horizon.’
Early 17th century: from Tamil kaṭṭumaram, literally ‘tied wood’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.