One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An enzyme that catalyzes the reduction of hydrogen peroxide.
- ‘In addition, the human body produces its own antioxidants that take the form of enzymes, including catalase, glutathione peroxidase, and superoxide dismutase.’
- ‘The most simple case of such a chemical reaction is the decomposition of hydrogen peroxide in the presence of the enzyme catalase inside the cell.’
- ‘Many of these enzymes, such as catalase and glutathione peroxidase, are constitutively active and protect the lungs against everyday insults.’
- ‘In addition, normal cell growth could be restored by addition of catalase to the medium, breaking down the hydrogen peroxide to oxygen and water.’
- ‘When the enzyme catalase is added to the hydrogen peroxide solution, the activation energy is lowered even further to 4 kJ / mol.’
Early 20th century: from catalysis + -ase.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.