Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The breakdown of complex molecules in living organisms to form simpler ones, together with the release of energy; destructive metabolism.
- ‘The process, in which the body basically metabolizes itself, is called catabolism and leads to muscle loss and weakness.’
- ‘The various reactions which involve the synthesis of complex molecules can be grouped under the heading of anabolism, whereas the breakdown of complex molecules is known as catabolism.’
- ‘Ammonium produced by catabolism of protein is then excreted in urine.’
- ‘During normal catabolism, protease enzymes break down carboxylase enzymes and reclaim the associated amino acids and biocytin for recycling.’
- ‘Muscle catabolism is a hallmark of sepsis and results from accelerated breakdown of myofibrillar proteins, such as actin and myosin.’
Late 19th century: from Greek katabolē throwing down from kata- down + ballein to throw.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.