One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A symbol on the forehead denoting membership of a particular Hindu caste.
- ‘It is almost like an Indian caste mark, but in this case appearing as a troubling presence, permanently in her consciousness.’
- ‘BBC English was not so much an imperial caste mark as a genuine lingua franca.’
- ‘The girl makes obeisance to her future husband three times and puts a caste mark on his forehead.’
- ‘His hair is oiled and groomed into a beehive topknot; his high, unfurrowed forehead is punctuated with a round caste mark.’
- ‘Like the Hasidim with their pales, or the Indian woman with her caste mark.’
caste mark/ˈkas(t) ˌmärk/
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.