Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A reddish, brownish, or yellowish mineral consisting of tin dioxide. It is the main ore of tin.
- ‘The discovery of a pocket of cassiterite here in 1915 created a small flurry of interest in tin; however, further exploration was unproductive.’
- ‘It occurred in weathered material with colorless transparent cassiterite, which is thought to have been derived from the oxidation of stannite.’
- ‘The dike is characterized by a greater abundance of muscovite than biotite; it also contains columbite-tantalite, cassiterite, beryl, spodumene, lepidolite, montebrasite, pollucite, and tourmaline.’
- ‘Arsenopyrite, cassiterite, molybdenite, wolframite, uraninite, and several of the common sulfides have all been observed at various locations.’
- ‘Crystals sometimes exhibit visible inclusions of micas and tourmaline as well as rarer minerals, such as cassiterite.’
- ‘A greisen is a quartz - mica aggregate containing significant amounts of cassiterite, wolframite, fluorite, topaz, rutile, and tourmaline.’
- ‘Other important minerals include tin-bearing cassiterite, iron, tin, coal, phosphates, gold, and salt.’
- ‘The chief commodity sought is tin, as fine-grained cassiterite in vein swarms related to the emplacement of granitic rocks within sedimentary carbonates.’
- ‘One of the most sought after minerals on Gyoujayama, however, is cassiterite.’
- ‘All cassiterite crystals exhibit twinning, and most are black with metallic luster.’
- ‘This covers the tin and fluorite mines of the Bushveld Complex, and there are samples of cassiterite from the Rooiberg mine, fluorite from the Buffalo Fluospar mine, and a smaltite specimen from Buffelsfontein, Groblersdal.’
- ‘It occurs in more than ten minerals, including cassiterite and stannite.’
- ‘The area has been a prolific source of smoky quartz, amazonite, occasional topaz, and other accessory minerals, including albite, fluorite, phenakite, columbite, cassiterite, goethite, and many others.’
- ‘Several years ago a Colorado mineral dealer was alleged to have sold cassiterite fraudulently labeled as being from this area.’
- ‘The principal mineral resource is cassiterite (a tin ore), but exports are at a standstill since the collapse in world tin prices.’
- ‘The cassiterite occurs as pale brown, fine-grained vein fillings and is not of much interest to collectors as specimens.’
- ‘The quartz and albite contain small dark inclusions of cassiterite and columbite-tantalite-group minerals.’
Mid 19th century: from Greek kassiteros ‘tin’ + -ite.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.