Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The swollen edible fruit of the cashew tree, from which the cashew nut hangs, sometimes used to make wine.
- ‘The cashew apple is not a true fruit, but the swollen stalk to which the cashew nut is attached.’
- ‘The cashew nut grows externally in its own kidney shaped hard shell at the end of this peduncle - commonly known as cashew fruit or cashew apple.’
- ‘In the countries where the cashew apple grows, it is also used in the drinks industry.’
- ‘The cashew apple is not commercially important since it spoils quickly, but local people love the fruit.’
- ‘Rural self-help groups should take initiative in the effective use of cashew apple in cashew-growing regions.’
- ‘Juice is squeezed from the cashew apples and fermented to produce wine.’
- ‘Wash cashew apple and extract the juice either by pressing with hand or using a press.’
- ‘Patents were obtained for clarified cashew juice, cashew apple liquor and cashew apple wine’
- ‘The shell of the nut contains a toxic oil, which caused the Latin Americans and West Indian growers to concentrate on production of the succulent cashew apple rather than the nut.’
- ‘Ever breathed in the nostalgic fragrance of the ‘paranki maanga’ (cashew apple) in a bustling city?’
- ‘In India, on the other hand, vast tonnages of cashew apples have largely gone to waste while that country pioneered in the utilization and promotion of the nut.’
- ‘Caju feni is the liquor make from pressed cashew apples in Goa.’
- ‘While cashew apples are not appreciated in the United States, they are regarded as delicacies in Brazil and the Caribbean.’
- ‘The nut is attached to the lower portion of the cashew apple which is conically shaped.’
- ‘Brazil has a highly developed cashew nut processing industry in which even cashew apples are processed for the preparation of fresh beverages and wine.’
- ‘He recounted that cashew apples and their juice were consumed and that the nuts were roasted in fires and the kernels eaten.’
- ‘One cashew nut grows per cashew apple and it is from the fermented juice of cashew apples that cashew feni is made.’
- ‘This project will develop a process for the production of a natural fruit juice from waste cashew apples that is acceptable for export markets.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.