One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Convert an insurance policy, savings account, or other investment into money.
- ‘Do we cash them in for money at the end of our time?’
- ‘Young investors have more opportunities for riskier financial plans as they are not dependent on it for an income and can wait to cash it in when their investments are at a high.’
- ‘It may be cold comfort for Irish policyholders who will lose up to 15 per cent of the value of their investments if they cash them in, but British policyholders are worse off.’
- ‘I would like to know if you think it makes sense to cash it in and use the proceeds to buy an investment property towards my retirement instead?’
- ‘The change in tax treatment of life assurance investment products from the beginning of this year means funds are allowed to grow tax-free until the investor cashes them in.’
- ‘The decision with-profits investors have to make is whether to keep their investments or to cash them in.’
- ‘Either way, you're likely to get a much better return on your money and you also have the flexibility to cash it in when the time is right.’
- ‘But the outcome would normally be that the policy would be cashed in before the superannuation fund moneys were paid over.’
- ‘Never invest in share or share-based investment plans unless they give you the flexibility to cash them in at a time of your choosing - that is, when the market is doing well.’
- ‘Is it worth keeping this going or should I cash it in and invest elsewhere?’
- ‘Investment earnings would be taxed once they are cashed in and you have used them to buy something.’
- ‘The retailer can then either choose to keep circulating the money by spending it at another store, or cash it in at a 90 per cent exchange, with the remaining 10 per cent donated to charity.’
- ‘When the policy is cashed in, the firm recoups only the amount it paid in premiums.’
- ‘Just this past week a person who is two months away from becoming a pensioner told me he wished he had, every time he changed his job, invested his pension money rather than cashing it in.’
- ‘You will probably find that, as well as cashing them in on their 10th birthday, you can either continue your contributions or cease paying in, but leave in the money invested so far.’
- ‘It can only assume the holdings were cashed in, or transferred to someone else.’
- ‘Because of fluctuating stock prices, customers require up-to-date valuations on their investments to decide if they should cash them in.’
- ‘If an investor wants to cash their policy in, then the insurer has to make an adjustment to the policy value in order to be fair to the investors who are left behind.’
- ‘The minimum purchase is four units, which costs €25, and prize bonds can be cashed in at any time.’
- ‘A puzzler for the impaired - what sort of ‘asset’ requires that you borrow more money to cash it in?’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.