One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A crop produced for its commercial value rather than for use by the grower.
- ‘Today, the major staple throughout Kenya is maize, which is an important cash crop as well.’
- ‘Conservation practices are important in growing cotton - a primary cash crop for early U.S. settlers.’
- ‘Flowers became a good cash crop and they soon became skilled growers, their specialty being sweet peas which customers acclaimed for their fragrance and beauty.’
- ‘Carrots are the main cash crop on Huber's 400-acre farm, and he produces 80 percent of his own seed to insure quality and availability.’
- ‘Where adapted, it is unmatched by any other forage as a feed for livestock, as a cash crop, and as an energy-efficient crop.’
- ‘Corn is, in America today, our biggest cash crop.’
- ‘In all reality, alfalfa is the only cash crop produced in the county this year, since corn and soybean profit will be derived from government payments.’
- ‘Also consider your need for extra alfalfa or its value as a cash crop.’
- ‘Switchgrass is another product that could produce power for utilities and serve as a new cash crop.’
- ‘By now, it is a well-known fact to every Zambian farmer that if grown as a cash crop, tomato is capable of paying back handsomely for a farmer's labour.’
- ‘Biofuel offers a cash crop for farmers and a way for communities to take control of their energy needs while helping the environment and decreasing dependence on foreign oil.’
- ‘Blueberries are now replacing tobacco as the No.1 cash crop in some farm states such as North Carolina.’
- ‘As a cash crop, cattle encouraged ranchers to practise ruthless predator control, killing bears, bobcats and mountain lions.’
- ‘He added that the promotion of indigenous grains as cash crops was meant to bring money to the communal farmers but he was quick to add that the crops would not overtake maize as a major cash crop.’
- ‘Soya has become the cash crop for half of Argentina's arable land, more than 11m hectares, most situated on fragile pampas lands on the vast plains.’
- ‘She pledged additional aid to ease the burden on Afghan farmers forced to give up their one cash crop.’
- ‘An excellent example of the benefits is cocoa, a critical cash crop for small farmers in many tropical nations.’
- ‘Part of the development of the pasture included the growth of barley and oats as a cash crop.’
- ‘It is an ideal cash crop for rural farmers in wildlife infested areas, as it is unpalatable to wildlife and therefore is not prone to crop damage.’
- ‘Unfortunately, times have changed and although the farmers still want the dung, they do not want the nomad's herds eating the cash crop standing between them and financial ruin.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.