Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A crop produced for its commercial value rather than for use by the grower.
- ‘Part of the development of the pasture included the growth of barley and oats as a cash crop.’
- ‘Also consider your need for extra alfalfa or its value as a cash crop.’
- ‘Today, the major staple throughout Kenya is maize, which is an important cash crop as well.’
- ‘Flowers became a good cash crop and they soon became skilled growers, their specialty being sweet peas which customers acclaimed for their fragrance and beauty.’
- ‘It is an ideal cash crop for rural farmers in wildlife infested areas, as it is unpalatable to wildlife and therefore is not prone to crop damage.’
- ‘As a cash crop, cattle encouraged ranchers to practise ruthless predator control, killing bears, bobcats and mountain lions.’
- ‘She pledged additional aid to ease the burden on Afghan farmers forced to give up their one cash crop.’
- ‘By now, it is a well-known fact to every Zambian farmer that if grown as a cash crop, tomato is capable of paying back handsomely for a farmer's labour.’
- ‘Where adapted, it is unmatched by any other forage as a feed for livestock, as a cash crop, and as an energy-efficient crop.’
- ‘Corn is, in America today, our biggest cash crop.’
- ‘Unfortunately, times have changed and although the farmers still want the dung, they do not want the nomad's herds eating the cash crop standing between them and financial ruin.’
- ‘Blueberries are now replacing tobacco as the No.1 cash crop in some farm states such as North Carolina.’
- ‘In all reality, alfalfa is the only cash crop produced in the county this year, since corn and soybean profit will be derived from government payments.’
- ‘Soya has become the cash crop for half of Argentina's arable land, more than 11m hectares, most situated on fragile pampas lands on the vast plains.’
- ‘Biofuel offers a cash crop for farmers and a way for communities to take control of their energy needs while helping the environment and decreasing dependence on foreign oil.’
- ‘An excellent example of the benefits is cocoa, a critical cash crop for small farmers in many tropical nations.’
- ‘He added that the promotion of indigenous grains as cash crops was meant to bring money to the communal farmers but he was quick to add that the crops would not overtake maize as a major cash crop.’
- ‘Switchgrass is another product that could produce power for utilities and serve as a new cash crop.’
- ‘Conservation practices are important in growing cotton - a primary cash crop for early U.S. settlers.’
- ‘Carrots are the main cash crop on Huber's 400-acre farm, and he produces 80 percent of his own seed to insure quality and availability.’
cash crop/ˈkaSH ˌkräp/
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.