Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A bar at a social function at which guests buy drinks rather than having them provided free.
- ‘Oh yes, a free drink or two, a cash bar and great door prizes.’
- ‘The school has hired a DJ and a band, and opened a cash bar outside.’
- ‘All are invited for free food and a cash bar, so come out and support UW's artists.’
- ‘Festivities abound - there will be a brass band, a ribbon-cutting ceremony, light refreshments and a cash bar, and a silent auction of donated and deaccessioned mineral specimens.’
- ‘He is the last speaker and has a 20-minute slot before the cash bar opens.’
- ‘Food, a complimentary drink, a cash bar, and music are included in the ticket price.’
- ‘As usual, the production is a supper cabaret, so a light meal will be served, and a cash bar will be available.’
- ‘On top of that we've got eight more great talks, free Wi-Fi, a mini-vendor area [see: shirts and technological ephemera] a cash bar right off the speaking area and gratis beer for paying attendees on Saturday night.’
- ‘Live music, cabarets, papare bands, free beer, cash bar with discounted prices, food stalls, entrance gifts will see you through to the wee hours of the morning.’
- ‘But as the night wears on and the alcohol from the cash bar starts flowing into my brain, they slowly turn into masterful actors.’
- ‘Have a cash bar (after the welcome drink) rather than include drinks on the ticket price to keep costs down (and to make it fairer for those who don't drink.’
- ‘We get drinks from the cash bar and food from the free buffet, and watch the crowd.’
- ‘Good thing it wasn't a cash bar, ‘cause I woulda blown all of my money getting Ron drunk, the way it was going.’
- ‘A cash bar will be available before and after dinner.’
- ‘Admission is $15 and the event will feature a cash bar, silent auction and live music, as well as food and refreshments.’
- ‘A cash bar is available for drink purchases during the cruise.’
- ‘Cabaret style seating and a cash bar further the illusion that we as the audience are sitting in our favourite pub, catching a good live show.’
- ‘The dinner, which features complimentary hors d' oeuvres and a cash bar, with the meal following at 6 p.m., is $25 a person.’
- ‘We just have to figure out the logistics - catering, the band, renting the hall, firming up the opposition to take control after the Tikrit clan has been turned into red mud, whether it'll be an open bar or a cash bar.’
- ‘Granted, the time you had to queue for tokens was probably less than the time you'd otherwise have fought to get served at a cash bar.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.